Divya Seth

Name: Divya Seth

Year: Sophomore

Major: MCB – Cell & Developmental Biology

What extracurriculars are you involved with on campus?

“I am currently in KDSAP, which is the Kidney Disease Screening and Awareness Program. Last semester, we had our first kidney screening. We went to Fremont and provided free kidney screenings for a local church and their community. It was really rewarding to see how much of an impact we were able to have on the community just by a day of work. We were able to identify people who were on the track to getting kidney disease. It was amazing to see how one day of work has the potential to change somebody’s life. Kidney disease is one of those diseases that don’t show symptoms until very last stages, so it’s important to seek medical help while the disease can still be controlled. By learning about their kidney health and overall health, the people we served were able to seek the medical attention that they needed, and make changes to their lifestyles to improve their health.”

You seem to have found your place as a pre-med student now. How did you feel when you first entered Cal as an intended MCB major?

“When I walked into Cal my freshman year, I wish I knew that although pre-med is daunting, it is definitely doable. I think I got caught up in the daunting aspect of it and didn’t really reach out until my sophomore year. There are many support systems on campus such as the SLC and other academic and social organizations that students can reach out to. It’s really important to balance your life, not only academically, but also socially so that you can remain sane while pursuing medicine, or any career for that matter.”

“I find the most support amongst my friends here at Cal, and of course, my family back home. Without these people, I can say that I wouldn’t be where I am. As a student, you will definitely have ups and downs, and it’s important to remain grounded so that you can move forward despite the hardships you face.”